Food Science Basics – Carbohydrates.
RCA Certification Committee Study Guide 2016
Knowledge of Carbohydrates
- Identify important food sugars, the chemical reactions they participate in, and their functional properties.
- Identify various sources of gums, their differences and functional properties in food processing.
Knowledge of Functional Ingredients
3) Explain the function and benefits of food starches in food systems.
- Culinology text
- Ch. 2: Carbohydrate pages 22-24
- Ch. 8: Carbohydrate-Based Foods pages 128-165
- Essentials of Food Science
- Chapter 3 Carbohydrates in Food Introduction pages 27-37
- Chapter 4 Starches in Food pages 39-51
- Chapter 5 Pectins and Gums pages 53-61